Wick and Monknash Village Hall was built in 1934 by volunteers from local villages, and has always been the heartbeat of the local community in Wick. At the start of the Second World War in 1939, fundraising dances were held to help the war effort. These were great occasions, with many a romance beginning, and often led to a wedding at the church next door.
The Young Farmers Club (YFC) has the longest history of hiring the Hall, and these days younger members of the YFC follow in the footsteps of parents and grandparents before them, and meet once per week. More than fifty years ago, the Wick and District Playgroup was started, now parents bring their own children, to enjoy play activities in the Hall
The local drama group the Potato Street Players, has sold out to audiences for many years, with their annual production that normally takes place toward the end of November.
The Wick Annual Open Vegetable and Flower Show has been held by Wick Horticultural Society in the Village Hall for over fifty years. It includes sections for flowers, floral arrangements, vegetables, fruit, home baking, preserves and children’s crafts, and takes place in September.
Today, Wick and Monknash Village Hall is owned by the Charity Commission and run by volunteers who are also Trustees. The Trustees are responsible for the management and upkeep of the hall, and helping to ensure that the Hall remains at the heart of the community, just what the community has come to expect from the ‘Jewel in the Crown’ of the village.